The brain has two hemispheres and four lobes. If you are right-handed you rely in your left hemisphere and if you are left-handed you rely on your right hemisphere. When we consider how we write, many research studies indicate it matches our personality, lifestyle and profession. Inadvertently, our mind is controlling our body in a sense. So, when exercising our bodies, but we know that it is our mind/thoughts give us the encouragement to physically to get fit. (so to speak).
Mental fitness is the key to physical fitness; physical fitness is the key to mental fitness.
What to participate in for exercising your mind (positively and for clarity)?
Reading, taking a class and even participating in puzzles are an excellent form of keeping your mind active. The type of mental fitness that speaks volumes and is important to working with the body is meditation. Sometimes people engage in yoga (there are several types) to gain clarity with their body and mind. Yoga also helps with the mind and body connection. When one really participated in a yoga activity people normally relax. It is often tied into meditation as well.
How to relax the mind through exercise?
The preparations to meditation that are shared are suggestions from reading various books, reading blog sites and participating in meditation (or yoga) via CD.
- Have comfortable clothes. Yoga pants and a loose t-shirt work great, but not necessary, just something relaxing;
- Find a quiet place (for at least 15 minutes);
- Get a DVD that focuses on stress relief, or beginner’s yoga. Why this? You want to just try it out first. It can be rather challenging to dive right into yoga. Something simple and not so stressful will help with your journey. Visit http://gaiam.com , or;
- Locate a podcast that has a meditation routine where you can listen to the person speak and take you through each breathing technique. Meditation Oasis Podcast or Relaxation Podcast are examples of podcasts that can be downloaded. I would encourage you to listen to the podcasts first to see what fits your need for relaxing.
- Have a journal to record what you find as successes in relaxing your mind. This will let you know what techniques work best and for what situations.
If you use a relaxation technique that is working for you, share your technique in the comment box. Keep in mind that exercising is not just physically, but mentally too! Relaxing exercises take time to learn.
© 2013 Jewel Williams
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE OR WEB SITE?
You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it:
“Motivational Walker, Jewel Williams is your everyday wife, mom and daughter motivating men and women to Walk for a Cause-”Learning about Self, Helping Others”. Get more information about the cause and how you can join in the walk by visiting, http://walkingforacause.com.”
- How Staying Mentally Fit Can Make a Great Difference (likisaju.wordpress.com)
- What are the Health Benefits of Yoga? (epicahealth.com)